Friday, February 17, 2006

Grow Your Own Gamer

So, I'm sure it's quite clear by now that I'm a pretty huge gamer. PC games, console games, and now even board games - they're all good. The first two are easily accessible, but board games present a problem in that you need someone to play with. Jill's occasionally up for a game now and then, especially when others are present, but let's face it - she's not quite up to the same let's-go-for-six-hours-straight level of obsession (or derangement) that I am. So what am I to do?

Grow my own gaming buddies, and I'm off to a good start with Logan. He's been set up for computer games for awhile now, after we got his own computer installed and even connected to the internet. He's got a few CD-ROM games that he plays, but for the most part he surfs out to nickjr.com and plays a whole slew of online games. (If that's not an argument for getting grandparents online, I don't know what is - "c'mon, even a four year old can do it.") Lately, he's been getting into his board and card games too. Some of them are the much-maligned (among boardgame hobbyists) Candyland and Chutes and Ladders, but he also plays Chicken Cha Cha Cha and, at the moment, is nuts about Hearts. He doesn't care that Hearts is a fundamentally difficult game to play with only two, and I admit watching him sort through his massive hand of 26 cards is rather amusing. He also misses out on a few of the finer points of the game, like the fact that he really shouldn't tell people what is and isn't in his hand. Still, he has been known to win a game or two, and by far his favorite part of the game is to "trick a heart on you". Of course, he'll as often yell out "trick a heart on me, Daddy!" so I'm not sure he really gets the point of the game, even though he knows that getting hearts is bad. I guess he's just doing it for fun. Which is sort of the whole point anyway.

2 comments:

jnachtrab said...

Just wanted to add that we have also witnessed Logan playing games against himself (or occasionally against Bear). And I have already played several games of Hearts with Logan today, and it's barely mid-afternoon.

Haha! Guess who just approached me and asked if I will play a game of Hearts with him...gotta go "mix and shuffle" now!

Anonymous said...

That's great Logan's learning how to play board games. I have subbed for second and third graders who barely have a clue. For instance, for Rack-O one girl places her cards wherever she wants them when she gets them, and guess what...... she gets Rack-O!! For Scrabble a couple of kids had words going EVERY which way....... including some upside down from the rest, and some going diagonally, not connected to anything else, so they could use the bonus point squares! Silly little people. :-)

Mood Music